One more injured of Narayanganj mosque blast dies

DHAKA, Sept 22, 2020 (BSS) – One more victim of Narayanganj mosque AC blast succumbed to his burn injuries at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery here today, raising the death toll to 34, police and hospital sources said.

The deceased was identified as Shahadot Hossain Sifat, 18, who recently passed the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examination and was scheduled to get admission into a college, hospital’s resident surgeon Dr Partha Shankar Paul told BSS this noon.

Son of Md Swapon Sheikh, the youth who earlier sustained 22 percent burn injuries in his body, breathed his last at 10:30 am while undergoing treatment at the burn unit’s intensive care unit (ICU) at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), the physician added.

Two more people with critical state are now undergoing treatment at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) here, our hospital source said.

At least 50 people suffered severe burn injuries in the Air Conditioner (AC) blast at Pashchim Talla Baitus Salah Mosque in Narayanganj at around 8.30 pm on September 4.

Those who breathed their last so far, include: Abdul Aziz, 40, Md Farid, 50, Sheikh Farid (21), Nazrul Islam (40), Abdus Sattar (40), Journalist Nadim, 45, Imam of the Mosque Abdul Malek, 60, Ibrahim, 42, Delowar Hossain, 42, Mostafa Kamal, 35, Sabbir 21, Juel,7, Zubair, 18, Zunayed,17, Humayun Kabir,70, Rifat, 18, Kuddus Bepari,70, Jamal, 40, Rashed, 30, Mainuddin,12, Jaynal, 40, Nayan, 27, Kanchan, 50, Rasel, 34, Bahar Uddin, 55, Nizan, 34, Shamim Hasan, 45, Julhas, 35, Mohammad Ali, 55 Abul Bashar 51, Monir Forazi, 30, Imran Hossain, 30, and Abdul Hannan, 50.

Narayanganj Fire Service Deputy Assistant Director Abdullah Al-Arefin said a gas pipe line of Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Limited has gone through the bottom of the mosque.

A leakage in that pipe line accumulated gas inside the mosque which may have triggered the AC blast as the amassed gas could not pass because the mosque windows were closed while the AC was on, he added.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *